Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Dora , 18 Jul 1923 - 30 Ene 2007

Dora had no idea who Annie Oakley was.
Maybe that´s why our relationship began with so many misunderstandings.

I was 6 years old and she was in her thirties when we first met, and Annie Oakley was my hero. Actually Barbara Stanwyck was Annie Oakley for me. Anyway, it was at a time when heroes were bigger than life and there weren´t other heroes than the movie heroes or ones parents.
I also loved Alice in Wonderland and Dora had never heard of her. Too bad. Dora didn´t understand my urge for surrealistic visions or the tricks I played to her. She probably though I was just stubborn and spoiled. Well, that... I was too.

We were introduced by my mother in our living room very early one morning. I was still dressed in my long flannel nightshirt and she had a beehive hairstyle with lots of spray which I imagined was for impressing me. She looked lonely and vulnerable and yet strong. I remember I realized of that but it didn´t stop me from taking all the advantages I could from her out placed countryside culture.
She had come from a small town to the big city of Buenos Aires after a very cruel breakup with her husband-to-be. He was from Swiss origins and was in love with her but her mother in law-to-be forbid his boy from marrying a dark woman, and so he didn´t.
I wish I had understand that from the beginning.

"She´s going to live with us from now on", Mom said.
And she did.

I can´t imagine my life without her protection.


escrito en 2007 para ella

No comments: